Sunday, November 1, 2009

Self Analysis Post

Over the course of my blog and through the research I have done, my knowledge of Native American economy and culture in general has drastically changed. I have learned that Native Americans have changed from traditional ways to more modern ways. However, the tribes still want to preserve their traditional ways while adapting to modern society. While I knew before I started this blog that each Native American tribe was separate from each other, I did not know that the tribes wanted to be free, independent nations. They do not wish to be subject to federal government laws; each tribe wants to govern their own members and retain their cultural identity. Tribes are extremely poor, not just because they are not used to current economic structure, but because their land base and resources, all potential sources of income, were taken away turning the relocation and allotment eras. The Five Civilized Tribes (Creek, Cherokee, Seminole, Chickasaw and Choctaw) were not the only Native American tribes to be removed to reservations. The best land was given to whites, and the buffalo were hunted to near extinction. I had heard of reservation schools trying to "civilize" Native American children, but I did not know that the schools were miles away from the reservations and the teachers did not let the children go back and visit their parents until they graduation, about twelve years later. Instead of just conflict with white squatters on reservation land, there was also conflict with the other Native American tribes in Indian Country. The Seminole Tribe of Florida began high stakes gaming. So now many tribes are trying to break their cycle of poverty through Indian gaming.

To create an argument, you must show facts and provide evidence. I developed as a writer by learning to approach the argument logically, be unbiased, and show all sides of the argument no matter which side I believe. I also learned that in order for others to believe my side of the argument, I must develop my position persuasively, and use logos, not pathos or ethos.

No comments:

Post a Comment